Expertise & Services
ETC-Urban Agriculture organises its team and work around the following main themes:
- Urban agriculture, poverty alleviation and local economic development Urban agriculture can play an important role as a complementary strategy for poverty alleviation, social inclusion and local economic development. ETC-UA supports the transition from subsistence to market oriented farming by assisting in technology development, improved farm management, strengthening of farmers organisations, supporting micro-enterprises involved in production of compost and other inputs, as well as in food processing, market analysis and development of direct producer-consumer linkages, etcetera. Special attention is given to women and unemployed youth. Both food and non-food products (e.g. medicinal and aromatic herbs, fodder, trees and ornamental plants) are given attention.
- Urban agriculture, food security and nutrition Urban agriculture can make important contributions to improvement of the food security and nutrition of the urban poor by production for (home) consumption and local exchange or sales of surpluses which substantially enhances access of poor urban families to fresh foods at reasonable prices and reduces food costs allowing to save income for other essentials (medicines, school fees).
ETA-UA assists a/o in design of strategies to enhance security of land use, introduction of low cost micro-farming technologies and nutritional education. Special attention is given to disadvantaged groups and families affected by HIV-Aids.
- Reuse of urban organic wastes and waste water in urban agriculture Reuse of urban organic wastes and wastewater in agriculture under proper management, converts wastes into valuable resources (nutrients and water) for farmers, while reducing negative impact on health and environment. ETC-UA supports this a/o by documenting and dissemination of best practices, by assisting in the set up of household and community based waste collection and compost production units, and by assisting in the design and implementation of municipal strategies that reduce the health and environmental risks associated with reuse of wastewater while enhancing its socio-economic benefits.
- Integration of urban agriculture in urban planning and design Integration of agriculture in the urban planning system is an important precondition for the development of sustainable and safe urban agriculture for income and food as well as for urban greening, micro-climate regulation, landscape and biodiversity management, creation of buffer zones and land reserves, water management and recreational options for the citizens (agro-tourism). ETC-UA supports inclusion of urban agriculture in urban land use planning and the design of new neighbourhoods or slum development projects. Promotion of multi-functional land use is often an important focus.
The services that ETC-Urban Agriculture provides include:
- Policy oriented studies and policy advice regarding urban agriculture (scoping studies; impact analysis, system design/modelling, scenario development, policy formulation, design of norms and regulations)
- Support to (participatory) formulation and implementation of urban agriculture programmes and projects
- Evaluation studies (policy impacts assessments, programme and project evaluations)
- Capacity building training, coaching, technical and management assistance)
- Guiding processes of technological and institutional innovation
- Knowledge management: gathering, analysis and packaging of information for specific user categories (policy briefs, fact sheets, field manuals, guidelines, etcetera), facilitating exchange and dialogue (e.g. UA-Magazine, E- conferences, exchange visits)
- Facilitating network development and exchange and cooperation in the field of urban agriculture agriculture (a/o. by organising exchange and study visits, support to working groups created by city networks, international workshops, etcetera)
- Development of practical tools and instruments for various types of stakeholders
- Project and network management
- Fund management and funding brokerage